Thursday, October 10, 2013

Prompt 4- Livie79


“Are you sure you wanna do this, Tanya?”

“Fuck no,” she laughed. Tightening her grip on her bag, she looked at Bella, her uncertainty clear. “This place gives me the fucking creeps, but the owner is paying us a lot of money to investigate the weird shit that’s been happening. I’ll be able to pay off every cent of the student loans I racked up. You too, for that matter.”

Bella breathed deeply and nodded. “Yeah, I know.”

“Do you feel anything?” Tanya’s expression was wary as she shuffled her feet.

Bella shook her head. “Not yet. But I wouldn’t expect to from this far outside the house. You have the notes he left you about which rooms things were happening in, right?”

“Yeah. I think I’m going to call Seth before I head inside.”

“Have you spoken to Edward?”

Tanya frowned. “He’s pretty pissed at me right now.”

“He’s just worried, Tanya. You know how he is.”

“He’s my brother, of course I know. It’s not me he’s worried about anyway. He knows you don’t like to use your gift. He’s angry that I’ve asked you to do this with me.”

Bella waved her hand in the air. “Don’t let him get to you. It’s not like we’ve never done this before. Truth be told, I think what you do scares the shit out of him. He doesn’t want to believe that ghosts, demons, or anything else that goes bump in the night actually exists. But he can’t come out and say that because of my gift. It frustrates him.”

Tanya sighed. “You’re probably right.”

“I know I am.” Bella grinned. “Go call Seth. I’ll go inside and start setting up the equipment. Everything will be fine. You’ll see.” Grabbing Tanya’s bag, Bella walked to the front door and unlocked it.

Her hand tightened around the heavy bag as she stepped over the threshold. The moment she entered the house, her body froze. Her eyes rolled back and her body stiffened as she began to shake. Images flashed behind her eyes, demons dragging their undead bodies across the floor, their eyes―eclipsed in black―a stark contrast to their rubbery white skin.

“Leave this place.”

The cherubic faces of a dozen children danced around her, their eyes wide and pleading. “Help us. Save us, please. We’re so frightened.”

Their angelic faces began to distort. Their flesh melting like wax, falling from the bone until nothing but a skeleton and vacant sockets remained.

“This will be your fate. Do not provoke what you can’t defeat.”

The demon’s clawed fingers scraped its nails across the wooden floors. Its hissing voice demanding and angry. Territorial and possessive. Its eyes widened, and a wicked smile stretched its rubbery skin as it looked around Bella, through her.

“Oh, this changes things,” it groaned, a purr of pleasure vibrating in its chest. “It’s too late for you now. They never leave.”

Bella’s skin burned and bile rose hot like acid in her throat.

“Bella!” Tanya screamed. She locked her arms around Bella and shook her roughly. “Come back, Bella! Please! Snap out of it.” Her frantic cries broke through Bella’s trance, and they both fell heavily to the floor.

Sobs wracked Bella’s body as she tried to wipe away the image of screaming children. Her hands trembled as she covered her face. “They’re just babies. Tanya, they’re just babies.”

“Who are just babies, Bella? What are you talking about? You’re scaring me.”

Bella gasped for air as she tried to slow her racing heart. She gripped Tanya’s hands, fear twisting a knot in her stomach when she realized what the creature had seen. Who it was looking at. “This place,” she choked. “It’s filled with evil. You’re not safe here.”

“What do you mean I’m not safe here? Did you see something? Is someone going to hurt me?”

“Anyone who comes here is in danger. But the children never leave.” Bella moved her hand, pressing it against Tanya’s slightly swollen belly. “You can’t be here. They’ll take her from you.”

Tanya’s face paled as she covered Bella’s hand with her own. “What?”

“We have to leave. Now. We can’t stay here.” Bella jumped to her feet, her body alive with adrenaline. “Get up.”

Tanya scrambled to her feet as the front door slammed shut. The wooden shutters banged against the windows, the locks engaging with a deafening roar. Encased in darkness, Bella wrapped her arms around Tanya. “We need to call Edward and Seth. We have to get out. They don’t let the children leave. They’ll take her, Tanya!”

Bella had never been hysterical. She understood her gift was abnormal, but she’d always been comforted in the knowledge that most spirits were kind. Maybe lost and confused, but never had she encountered pure evil. Not until today.   

Pulling Tanya to the front door, Bella yanked on the handle with all her strength. She pounded her fist against the solid wood and kicked at the lower panels. Screaming in frustration she ran to the nearest window and wrapped her fingers around the top of the shutters. She pulled at the lock, crying out in pain when her nail ripped from her finger from the force of her actions. “Goddamn it!”

“Bella, please. Calm down!” Fat, salty tears rolled down Tanya cheeks as she pleaded. “Please, I need you.”

Slumping her shoulders in defeat, Bella wrapped her bleeding finger in the bottom of her shirt. “I have to call Edward.” With trembling hands she pulled out her phone and dialed his number. On the third ring, he answered.

“Hey, baby.”

“Edward,” she exhaled, her voice shaky. “We’re in trouble. You need to come get us.”

“What? Where are you? Are you okay? Where’s Tanya? Is it the baby? What’s going on?” Edward’s questions came out in a rush, firing out one behind the other.

“This house, Edward. The spirits. They won’t let us leave. And if we don’t get out of here soon, I’m not sure we ever will.”

“What the fuck is going on, Bella?” Edward yelled, fear causing his blood to run cold.

“We don’t have time for questions! I need you here now! I need you! Please,” she sobbed, her words broken. “I just need you.”

“I’m sorry,” he whispered. “I’m leaving now. I’ll get there as fast as I can. Please keep your phone with you.”

“I will. I promise. Just please hurry. I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

Disconnecting the call, Bella turned to Tanya. “He’s coming, but it will be hours before he gets here. We need to find a room and stay there. Set up the cameras and turn on the lights of all the equipment. It’ll be dark soon.”

“We’re in danger, aren’t we?” Tanya asked, fresh tears falling down her cheeks.

Bella nodded. “We are.”

“I’m so sorry. This is all my fault. I should have never asked you to come here.”

Bella shook her head and grabbed Tanya’s hand. “This isn’t your fault. You didn’t know. Come on. Lets set up and wait for Edward. He’ll come for us. Everything will be fine.” Tanya didn’t believe Bella’s words any more than Bella did, but she nodded and followed Bella up the stairs.

Bella closed her eyes as she stood in the hallway, searching for the children, for a safehaven. Soft whispers and warm lullabies pulled her to the second door on the left. Pushing it open, they were met with a child’s bedroom. Stuffed animals and a flower-covered quilt decorated the bed. “We’ll set up in here. It’s the only room that feels remotely safe.”

An hour later, Tanya and Bella huddled on the twin sized bed together. With their backs pressed against the wall, they remained silent. “I’m so tired,” Tanya exhaled, a heavy weight bearing down on her shoulders. A lone tear slipped down Bella’s cheek as dark shadows danced around the corners of the bedroom.

“Get some rest. We’ll leave here soon.” The lie tasted bitter on her lips. She knew it was too late. Their fate had been sealed. Pulling out her phone, she dialed Edward’s number and brushed away the stray hairs on Tanya’s forehead.

“Bella?”

“Hey,” she whispered, tired, resigned.

“I’m almost there. There was a wreck. The road was blocked. Are you okay?”

Bella watched the closet door slowly open. Her chin quivered and tears spilled down her cheeks. “Oh, god,” she whimpered, goose bumps breaking out across her skin. “I love you so much. I’m sorry I didn’t listen to you. I’m sorry for always being so stubborn. Please forgive me.” Her words were rushed, her moment of calm gone as hysteria set in once more.

“Bella, you’re scaring me. Please stop talking like you’re saying goodbye. I’m almost there. But you better believe I’m going to kick both your asses after I kiss you.”

A clawed hand emerged from the closet, it’ rubber white skin glowing under the green lights of the cameras. Bella’s body tensed, her grip tightening around her phone. “Our father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven,” she wept, the air in the room changing, becoming heavy. “Oh, baby. It’s too late. They’re already here. I’m so sorry.”

The creature dragged its body out of the closet, its black eyes locking on Bella as its lips pulled back, revealing rows of razor sharp teeth. “I told you we would not be defeated,” it hissed.

The phone clattered to the floor and the lights burned out as Bella’s piercing scream echoed into the quiet room. Edward’s frantic voice crackled into the phone as Bella’s screams morphed into a low gurgle until there was nothing. Reaching down, the creature grabbed the phone and smashed it in its hand until the pieces dropped to the floor.

Turning its black eyes to a wide-eyed Tanya, it grinned. “Children never leave.”
________________________________________________________________________

I freaked myself out writing this one. I hope it had the same effect on you guys as well! See ya tomorrow!

~The Unholy Trinity

7 comments:

  1. I need to delete this story from my brain. Is that possible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy shit! Now I see why you freaked yourself out. That was the scariest so far. Again, so glad that I am reading this in the daylight. Well done, Liv!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy creeptastic Livie!! I'm gonna come back and read it after dark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If this was a movie i probably wouldn't watch it! but helll I read it now wich is worse oh my imagination! I'm scareeeeeed! good jod Liv!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not even little innocent unborn babies in the womb are safe with you ladies.
    Holy crap, that was creepy.
    *shudders*
    Shit.
    Bravo, livie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the truly frightening brilliance of this still blows me away. scary betch. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. would it kill you to make Bella defeat the creepers? :(

    ReplyDelete